Town of Bremen Street Department
Office Location: 123 E. Mill Street
Office Hours: 7:00 am - 4:00pm M-F
Office Phone: 574-546-4324
Office Fax: 574-546-5487
Street Department Personnel:
Superintendent: Alex Mikel
Street Crew: Kenny Moore, Tim Kulczar, & Henry Aguayo
The Bremen Street Department personnel are on call 24/7. For problems that occur after hours please call 574-546-3456.
The Street Department would like to remind you that if you need to do any kind of digging on your property remember to “Call Before You Dig, It’s the Law”. Dial “811” or to get more information please visit www.iupps.org.
Nixle: We would like to encourage the community to sign up for “Nixle”. By having “Nixle” you can receive alerts for issues that are happening in our community. To sign up go to www.nixle.com .
There are roughly 27 miles of streets in Bremen. The Street Department provides maintenance of town streets, alleys, and parking lots. The department also handles brush pick-up, leaf pick-up, snow & ice removal, street sign maintenance, and street sweeping.
Street Sweeping: Clean sidewalks and streets are important in making a neighborhood an enjoyable place to live. Keeping sidewalks clean is the responsibility of the property owner. Our sweeping program operates from early spring through late fall. After spring clean-up, we sweep on an as-needed basis which is usually one week a month.
Snow & Ice Removal: The Street Department has 7 pieces of snow removal equipment. During a large snow event the streets are plowed first and then the alleyways are plowed. There are 7 routes that are taken care of. Each route takes about 4 hours on a normal snowfall. With the assistance of the Water Department we will have 7 guys out plowing during an average snowfall. We ask that people clearing sidewalks and driveways not to place the snow in the street as this can create a hazard to motorists.
Brush Collection & Leaf Collection: The department picks up brush on Mondays. We do not pick up garden waste or grass clippings. These items can be taken to the Yard Waste Facility located at the end of North Marshall street. In the event of storm damage, debris will be cleared from the streets first and then we will come back and pick up limbs.
Our guys load most of the branches around town by hand. It would be greatly appreciated if limbs could be cut to a manageable size and placed in the tree lawn not the street.
Yard Waste Facility: The town operates a yard waste facility located at the end of North Marshall Street. This facility is free to use for residents that live in the municipal boundaries of the Town of Bremen.
The Following rules are hereby adopted and incorporated into the Town Code for the Town of Bremen, Indiana:
- Use of the facility is restricted to residents within the municipal boundaries of the Town of Bremen, Indiana and any person residing outside the city limits that purchases a permit from the Town of Bremen. The facility shall be open from 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. daily. The fee for a non-commercial personal license shall be $50.00
- The facility will accept only organic yard materials, including but not limited to, brush, branches, leaves, grass clippings, logs, organic garden or yard waste, wood chips, etc.
- The following items are strictly prohibited: logs or branches with a diameter greater than twenty-four inches; tree stumps, inorganic waste of any kind, including construction materials, metal, etc.
- Contractors may purchase a one-year permit to dump any materials accepted by the facility. Any materials dumped at the facility must be from the properties within the Town limits; materials from any other property outside the Town limits are strictly prohibited. Upon purchasing a permit, contractors shall be permitted to use the waste facility between the hours of 7:00 a.m and 7:00 p.m. The fee for this license shall be $750.00
- Contractors may purchase a one-year permit to dump only grass clippings. Any grass clippings dumped at the facility must be from the properties within the Town limits; grass clippings from any other property outside of the Town limits are strictly prohibited. A contractor must identify the properties from which grass clippings are produced upon the request of the Director of Operations. The fee for this license shall be $500.00
- Any person or contractor who purchases a permit to use the waste facility must produce the license upon of any Town employee or law enforcement officer.
- Failure to observe any of the foregoing rules for use of the waste facility may result in the suspension or revocation of the license without refund. In addition, a fine may be imposed according to the following schedule for violation of this ordinance:
First Offense: Fifty Dollars ($50.00)
Second Offense: One Hundred Dollars ($100.00)
Third Offense: Two Hundred Fifty Dollars ($250.00)
Subsequent Offenses: Five Hundred Dollars ($500.00)